Court reporters, medical transcriptionists and related occupations
National Occupation Code (NOC): 1251
Court reporters record and transcribe verbatim the proceedings of courts, legislative assemblies and committees, and prepare transcripts for use by judges, tribunals and quasi-judicial panels. They are employed by courts of law, provincial and federal legislative assemblies and committees, or they may be self-employed. Medical transcriptionists record, transcribe and edit dictation by physicians and other health care providers, surgical proceedings, health-related reports and other medical documentation. They are employed by hospitals, medical clinics and doctors' offices, or they may be self-employed. Closed captioners and other transcriptionists are included in this unit group.
Job Duties for Court reporters, medical transcriptionists and related occupations
- Record verbatim proceedings of courtroom using electronic stenograph machine or stenomask
- Respond to requests during court sessions to read back verbatim evidence
- Transcribe recorded proceedings in accordance with established formats
- Verify accuracy of transcripts by checking copy against original record of proceedings and accuracy of rulings by checking with judge
- Research and locate quotes to ensure accuracy
- Respond to requests for transcripts ordered by judges, lawyers or the public
- File and store shorthand notes of court session.
- Transcribe recorded dictation in accordance with established formats or written documentation from medical reports, correspondence, health records and patient information
- Proofread work for typographical and grammatical errors
- Edit transcripts for missing or incorrect content and formatting.
Working Conditions for Court reporters, medical transcriptionists and related occupations
Work is performed indoors, such as in a courtroom or hospital.
Alternate Job Titles
- Braille Transcriber
- Braille Volumes Transcriber
- Closed Captioner
- Court Monitor
- Court Recorder
- Court Reporter
- Court Stenographer
- Hansard Reporter
- Media Transcriber
- Media Transcriptionist
- Medical Dictatypist
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Stenotype Operator