Assessors, valuators and appraisers
National Occupation Code (NOC): 1314
Assessors, valuators and appraisers determine the value of land, businesses, estates and other real property, for purposes of sale, purchase, taxation or disposal of assets. Appraisers also determine the value of personal and household items. Assessors, valuators and appraisers are employed by government agencies, real estate firms and other private companies, or they may be self-employed.
Job Duties for Assessors, valuators and appraisers
- Assess value of land, building, structures, machinery, equipment and property improvements for purposes of taxation, grants and regional planning and prior to sale or purchase
- Review and analyze data such as past sales, title searches, engineering and alignment maps, soil maps, subdivision plans, water and sewer plans, leasing cost data and easements
- Explain assessment process to ratepayers.
- Collect and analyze financial records of a business, such as financial statements, budgets, projections and sales data, to assess its competitiveness or to estimate its market value
- Prepare reports for estate planning, matrimonial litigation, insurance and business losses
- Appear as an expert witness before courts, security regulators and other regulatory boards and commissions.
- Appraise value of property, building, industrial and commercial machinery and equipment and personal and household items
- Prepare appraisal reports for lending agencies, insurance companies, government departments, courts, attorneys, creditors, buyers or auctioneers.
Assessors may specialize in advising and consulting in a specific field of assessment such as residential, commercial, industrial, institutional or farm lands.
Appraisers may specialize in a specific type of appraisal such as real estate appraisal.
Working Conditions for Assessors, valuators and appraisers
Work is usually completed in an office environment.
Alternate Job Titles
- Accredited Appraiser
- Appraisal Technician
- Appraiser (except Customs)
- Assessor (except Tax)
- Assistant Appraiser
- Automobile Appraiser
- Building Appraiser
- Business Appraiser
- Business Valuation Officer
- Business Valuator
- Canadian Residential Appraiser (CRA)
- Chartered Appraiser
- Chartered Business Valuator (CBV)
- CRA (Canadian Residential Appraiser)
- Fishing Vessels Appraiser
- Furniture Appraiser
- Insurance Appraiser
- Municipal Assessor
- Property Appraiser
- Property Assessor
- Property Valuator
- Real Estate Analyst
- Real Estate Appraisal Technician
- Real Estate Appraiser
- Real Estate Assessor
- Valuation Consultant