National Occupation Code (NOC): 3221
Denturists examine patients and design, construct and repair removable dentures. Most denturists work in private practice.
Job Duties for Denturists
- Measure patients' jaws to determine size and shape of dentures required
- Make impressions of patients' teeth, gums and jaws
- Design and construct dentures or direct other workers to construct dentures
- Insert, fit and modify new dentures
- Repair dentures
- Reline, rebase and adjust dentures
- Fabricate mouth protectors, anti-snoring prostheses and removable prostheses on implants
- May order radiographs
- May prepare partial dentures
- May perform denture whitening and cleaning.
Working Conditions for Denturists
Work is performed indoors, usually in a private practice. Rigorous safety measures are usually in place, with bodily fluids and oral hygiene ailments regularly exposed. As denturists work on patients from close quarters and in slim margins, they must be extremely attentive.
Alternate Job Titles
- Apprentice Dental Mechanic
- Dental Mechanic
- Dental Mechanic Apprentice
- Denture Mechanic
- Denture Technician
- Denture Therapist
- Student Dental Mechanic
- Student Denturist