Technical occupations related to museums and art galleries
National Occupation Code (NOC): 5212
This unit group includes workers who classify and catalogue museum artifacts and gallery works of art, construct and install exhibits and displays, restore, maintain and store museum and gallery collections, frame artwork, and perform other functions in support of curatorial and conservation activities. They are employed in museums and galleries. Picture framers and taxidermists may also be employed in retail settings or may be self-employed. This unit group also includes museum and other interpreters who conduct guided tours. They are employed by art galleries, museums, parks, aquariums, zoos, interpretive centres, botanical gardens, cultural centres, nature sanctuaries, historic heritage sites, and other locations.
Job Duties for Technical occupations related to museums and art galleries
Conservation and restoration technicians
- Assist in the restoration and conservation of artifacts under the direction of a conservator.
- Assist in the research, handling and storage of artifacts.
- Conduct tours of museums, gallery exhibitions and historical, heritage and other sites, answer inquiries and provide information concerning exhibits or sites.
Museum extension officers
- Assist with the planning and development of travelling exhibitions and special events.
- Protect and care for cultural artifacts and collections during exhibitions, while in transit and in storage.
Museum registrars and cataloguers
- Classify and assign registration numbers to artifacts and supervise inventory control.
- Construct displays and dioramas, build models, install artifacts in displays and prepare artifacts for storage and shipping.
- Fabricate custom frames, measure and cut mats, mat enhancements and glass, and mount paintings, photographs and other art work.
- Prepare, stuff and mount skins of animals for preservation, scientific or display purposes.
Technical museum and gallery workers may specialize in a specific type of collection.
Working Conditions for Technical occupations related to museums and art galleries
Work is generally performed indoors, where tool and chemical usage may require safety measures.
Alternate Job Titles
- Aircraft Restoration Technician - Museum
- Aquarium Interpreter
- Archaeological Technician
- Art Gallery Preparator
- Art Gallery Registrar
- Art Objects Preparator
- Art Restoration Technician
- Assistant Registrar - Museum
- Botanical Garden Interpreter
- Cataloguer - Museum
- Chief Display Officer - Museum
- Chief Exhibit Officer - Museum
- Chief Preparator
- Chief Preparator - Museums And Art Galleries
- Communications Equipment Restoration Technician - Museum
- Community Museum Technician
- Conservation And Restoration Technician
- Conservation Area Interpreter
- Conservation Technician - Museums And Art Galleries
- Curatorial Assistant
- Dinosaur Museum Interpreter
- Diorama Maker - Museums And Art Galleries
- Diorama Technician
- Display Officer - Museums And Art Galleries
- Document Restoration Technician
- Ecological Interpreter
- Exhibit Officer - Museum
- Exhibit Preparator
- Exhibit Technician
- Fossil Recovery And Reparation Technician
- Frame Fitter - Museums And Art Galleries
- Framer - Museum And Art Gallery
- Framing Technician
- Head Preparator - Museums And Art Galleries
- Heritage Interpreter
- Historic Site Interpreter
- Historical Interpreter
- Historical Site Technician
- Historical Village Supervisor
- Historical Village Technician
- History Museum Interpreter
- Insectarium Interpreter
- Interpretive Guide - Museum
- Model Maker-preparator
- Museology Technician
- Museum Cataloguer
- Museum Exhibit Officer
- Museum Extension Officer
- Museum Interpreter
- Museum Objects Cataloguer
- Museum Objects Preparator
- Museum Preparator
- Museum Registrar
- Museum Technician
- Museum Technician - Earth's History And Paleontology
- Natural Habitat Interpreter
- Nature Interpreter
- Nature Site Interpreter
- Ornithology Centre Interpreter
- Paintings Restoration Technician
- Park Interpreter
- Picture Framer - Museum And Art Gallery
- Planetarium Interpreter
- Planetarium Technician
- Railway Equipment Restoration Technician - Museum
- Recording Technician - Museum
- Regional Museum Technician
- Restoration Technician - Museum
- Road Transport Equipment Restoration Technician - Museum
- Taxidermy Technician
- Technical Officer - Museum
- Wilderness Interpreter
- Zoo Interpreter